Scientific Retreat – 2014
About Scientific Retreat – 2014
- About PCF
- President’s Welcome
- Manhood For Good
- Meeting Agenda
- Location Map
- Attendee Information
- Attendee Demographics
- Attendee List
- Social Media
- Retreat Reports
The Prostate Cancer Foundation (PCF) is the world’s leading philanthropic organization funding and accelerating prostate cancer research. Founded in 1993, PCF has raised over $615 million and provided funding to more than 2,000 research programs at nearly 200 university cancer centers and universities in 19 countries and territories. PCF advocates for greater awareness of prostate cancer and faster and more innovative investment of governmental research funds for transformational cancer research. Its efforts have helped produce a 20-fold increase in government funding for prostate cancer. More information about PCF can be found atwww.pcf.org.
21 years are highlighted below.
Prostate Cancer Foundation and 21 Years of Progress
|Federal Funding||$27 million||nearly $550 million|
|Dedicated Research Labs||3||> 200|
|SPORE Grants||2||11 (at program peak)|
|New clinical trials/ year||2||> 60|
|Tissue banks for research||None||Multiple tissue banks with 50,000-plus samples|
|Research career positions/ year||~4||> 100|
|Funding for nutritional research||None||$20 million|
|Nations with dedicated prostate cancer research centers||3||18|
|Published research articles/ year on prostate cancer||1,646||9,426 (in 2013)|
In its twenty-one years of existence, PCF has continually scouted for and funded the most groundbreaking research for immediate impact for prostate cancer patients with advanced disease. PCF stimulated the research community and the biopharma sector, accelerating the development of 6 new FDA-approved treatments in the past 4 years, now reaching prostate cancer patients.
- Jevtana® – (Cabazitaxel, Sanofi Oncology)
- Provenge® – (Dendreon Corporation)
- Xgeva® – (Denosumab, Amgen)
- Xofigo® – (Alpharadin, Bayer Healthcare and Algeta)
- Xtandi® – (Enzalutamide, Medivation-Astellas)
- Zytiga® – (Abiraterone Acetate, J&J)
Looking ahead, PCF continues to invest in research benefiting prostate cancer patients, globally:
- PCF is currently funding dozens of early-stage clinical trials
- PCF is expanding globally, with the recent launches of PCF China, PCF Canada and PCF Norway. We are exploring opportunities in Netherlands and Brazil
- We have formulated a Global Treatment Sciences Network (GTSN) with the capacity to integrate real-time insights from the clinic and build on our successes and existing assets.
- We continue to leverage the knowledge, insights, and data from our 153 Young Investigators, 63 Challenge Awards teams, and 43 Creativity Award recipients. This and info gleaned from our Global Knowledge Exchange Enterprise has helped us design the agenda for the 21st Annual PCF Scientific Retreat.
- For its 21st year, the PCF Annual Scientific Retreat highlights cutting-edge research as well as current challenges facing the prostate cancer research and patient communities through formal lectures, panel discussions, workshops, discussions, and poster presentations. PCF assembles an outstanding roster of speakers in a comprehensive scientific program that showcases the state-of-the-art, novel approaches and technologies being used in the laboratory, innovative preclinical science, clinical trial results, and more.