2 cups milk (soy, cocoa soy, almond, low-fat cow’s)
1/4 cup natural cane sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 vanilla bean (optional)
Optional for garnish: fresh berries, chopped nuts, cacao nibs
- Place milk, sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract in a saucepan.
- If using vanilla bean, split it lengthwise with a sharp knife and scrape out the seeds.
- Place seeds and pod in the pot with the milk. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until it begins to thicken, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and remove the vanilla bean pod.
- Pour pudding into 6 individual cups or 1 large bowl and chill at least 30 minutes before serving. Top with garnish, if using.
Yield: 6 servings
Recipe courtesy of Beth Ginsberg.