PCF Recipe Club: Green Burger
Are you considering eating a more plant-based diet….. but love burgers? Here’s one from PCF Executive Chef Beth Ginsburg that you can make at home. Packed with brightly-colored vegetables and legumes, it makes for a satisfying, high-fiber, microbiome-friendly meal. Best of all, it’s not short on flavor!
- 1 cup onions (diced)
- 1/2 cup red pepper (diced)
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 cup garbanzo beans
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil for cooking
Serving suggestions: whole-grain or gluten-free bun, lettuce leaves, caramelized onions, avocado
- Blend all in a blender. (Note, if not using a food processor or high-powered blender, you may need to add a tablespoon or two of liquid).
- Let rest for at least 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Form mixture into 8 equally-sized patties.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Pan-fry patties, in batches, until browned and crispy on the outside and hot inside (about 8 minutes per side).
- Serve as you like on a bun or wrapped in a lettuce leaf.
This recipe was created by Beth Ginsberg, executive chef for the Prostate Cancer Foundation (PCF) and author of The Taste for Living Cookbook: Mike Milken’s Favorite Recipes for Fighting Cancer and The Taste for Living World Cookbook: More of Mike Milken’s Favorite Recipes for Fighting Cancer and Heart Disease.