As the heat of summer continues, it’s a good time to leave the oven off and opt for a quick, healthy, stovetop-only dinner. This fish taco recipe allows you to make the fresh corn-and-cabbage slaw while the fish marinates in a simple, clean mix of olive oil, lime juice, and spices.
What’s good in this recipe? Fish is a healthy choice for protein. The average-sized man or woman needs about 50-60 grams of protein per day; more if you are exercising vigorously or doing a lot of weight training. Older adults especially need to be mindful that they are getting enough protein, as muscle mass tends to decline with age. Fish is a high-quality source of protein, in that it contains all 9 essential amino acids—the building blocks that your body uses to assemble proteins—9 of which must be obtained from food. Yes, you can get these amino acids from red meat, but that comes with an unhealthy dose of pro-inflammatory saturated fat.
The cabbage in the slaw is a food powerhouse: it’s a cruciferous vegetable (need we say more?), a good source of fiber, and low in calories. Cabbage and its cruciferous cousins are full of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds, specifically isothiocyanates. And, it’s inexpensive and easy to find in the supermarket.
If you’ve been following PCF wellness for a while now, you know that brightly-colored vegetables form a cornerstone of our recommendations. This main dish is, granted, a little light on veggies, so you could serve it with a side salad of greens, tomatoes, and any other bits of summer’s bounty that you’ve got on hand. You can also substitute the tortillas for lettuce wraps.
Easy Fish Tacos
Adapted from delish.com
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 lb. cod (or other flaky white fish)
- 1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 corn tortillas (option: use lettuce leaves)
- 1 avocado, diced
- Lime wedges
- In a medium shallow bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, paprika, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
- Add cod, tossing until evenly coated. Let marinate 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make slaw: In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, and honey. Stir in cabbage, corn, and jalapeño. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat vegetable oil. Remove cod from marinade and season both sides of each filet with salt and pepper. Add fish flesh side-down. Cook until opaque and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Let rest 5 minutes before flaking with a fork.
- Assemble tacos: Serve fish over grilled tortillas with corn slaw and avocado. Squeeze lime juice on top.