Wilted French Lentil Salad
Recipe by Nicole Derseweh
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 one-cup servings
- 1 cup French lentils 🗒
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp vegetable boullion
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ onion 🗒
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms 🗒
- 1 bunch kale 🗒
- 1 grapefruit
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp pumpkin seeds 🗒
- Salt and pepper to taste
(🗒indicates ingredient is in PCF’s Periodic Table of Microbiome-Friendly Foods)
- In a medium pot bring water to a slight simmer.
- Add lentils and boullion and allow lentils to simmer for 17-20 minutes until tender. Strain any excess liquid and set aside.
While the lentils are cooking, prep the kale, onions and mushrooms:
- Strip the kale from the veins and roughly chop the leaves. Place in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Massage the kale with your fingers for a minute or 2.
- Chop the onion and slice the mushrooms.
- Using the same pan, heat olive oil and add onions, mushrooms and paprika.
- Stir mixture occasionally until onions become fragrant and tender; remove from heat.
- Add kale to warm pan and toss the lentils on top.
- Stir, allowing the residual heat of the pan to slightly wilt the kale.
- Squeeze grapefruit juice over the kale mixture.
- Toss in pumpkin seeds and salt and pepper to taste. Plate and enjoy!