Educating yourself about prostate cancer is the best way to step up against it. Here are the top 7 things YOU need to know:
- Prostate cancer is the most common non-skin cancer in America.
- In the United States, 1 in 8 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in his lifetime.
- For men of African descent, 1 in 5 will develop prostate cancer. They are nearly 2.3 times more likely to die from it.
- Every 3.3 minutes, a man is diagnosed with prostate cancer. Every 20 minutes, a man dies from the disease.
- As men increase in age, their risk of developing prostate cancer increases exponentially. About 6 in 10 cases are found in men over the age of 65.
- Men with relatives—father, brother, son—with a history of prostate cancer are twice as likely to develop the disease.
- If it is detected early, prostate cancer is 100% treatable, and most men will not experience any symptoms.